I started with the lights today, something I've never done.
I left the space for the silos, they look a bit weird here but it worked out OK.
I had a hard time trying to get the shadow right, I'm de-facto using a limited pallet, but I didn't want to get the shadow too blue, so it went more to the red.
There was a lot of noise in the farm yard, and I had to reduce it down and put it in it's place, I liked the vantage point painting on the road going up, with a bird's eye view of the farm.
I wasn't even sure I was going to put the trees in, but they were too much part of the picture, of course I greatly simplified them.
The veil of trees had to be darker and more saturated than anything else.
I loved the way the pattern of bright snow enforced itself through the farm and then the trees, so broken up yet still so strong.
There was some bright sun when I started, and it slowly became hazy then cloudy, It was a very reasonable thing to deal with, thanks, Mom!
My pallet: essentially I've been using Ultra marine, Burnt sienna, cadmium yellow, titanium and zinc white. I've left on it, lemon (cadmium), alizerine crimson and a touch of cobalt, but the last three colors are used very sparingly, as you can see it looks like a mess, that's because it is!, I go from one type of mud to the other, feeding and pushing the pile in one direction then the next.
Looking down the hill, not a sole came by, close to 2 hours!, mostly glove-less.